Tuesday, November 30, 2010

morning light through trees.

This has been a long and painfully stressful process. I have felt several ups, and lots of downs to get to this point, and I like where it brought me in the end. I just hope my crazy mind translates to everyone else who views the piece.

My inspiration for my piece came from a slide that Leah presented to the class. It is a lighting installment from designer Tord Boontje. The following pieces are in Boontje's collection and were taken from the website.

I love the feel of these. they seem so precious and whimsical. It reminds me of flowers and ivy from like a fairy dream world.

I was also reading about the Dada Art movement of the early 20th century. How the events of World War I created this idea to abandon all that is considered to be art or creative works, because all that it brought us was death and destruction.

This idea brought me to think about chandeliers in general. They are usually symbols of interior prestige. Most of the time a central focal point in a room. They are most often covered with gold and silver, and drenched with crystals. An overkill item when it comes to wealth and luxury. Then I thought what would be the opposite of that?

I began to collect wood from scrap piles all around. I used nails to bound it together that had been previously used on the pieces of wood. I thought about draping it with cloth, but since this was garbage pieces, why not use garbage bags.

I tried to work the pieces together in a way that it even looked like trees, and vines, and nature. Very uneven, fragile in its shape and frame.

inside on single beam of fluorescent light peaking out. just like the light beam the morning oh so many months back.

I thought it important to work on the piece outdoors looking at the way trees would sway in the wind, and how the movement of the leaves would change the way the light came through. It caused me to miss many days in studio time, but I felt it was needed to better understand the concept of the piece.

The garbage bags were so light that the air can easily move them, causing just the slightest wind to rustle them and make it change the way the light comes through.

I felt the piece needed to be all black to better represent the original event that inspired me on that grey morning. The way the photo came out, everything in the world captured looking monochromatic.

When I step back from the piece it looks eerie and some what ghoulish. It feels much more like an art piece than a lighting piece to me. It holds some life that even myself haven't quite come to fully understand yet. I am just anxious to finally see it lite up and hanging. Photos of the final piece will be up very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment